Tuesday, February 24, 2009

Fat Tuesday

All hail the paczki. I am not Catholic, nor do I "give up" anything for Lent and I'm darned well going to eat meat on any Friday that I choose. But the one thing in which I do participate is the consumption of paczki. They are pretty much a glorified jelly donut with loads of powdered sugar, whip cream and just about any kind of filling you can think of. I just got done consuming half of a strawberry one and half of a buttercream one and I feel like I am going to vomit but it was so worth it.
On another note, it always amazes me how you hear NOTHING about anyone being Catholic during the course of the year; Then Lent rolls around. All of a sudden everyone and their mother is freaking out because "Oh my gosh, it's Friday and I can't eat meat!!" and "oh, I gave that up for Lent" and blah blah blah. I'm convinced that half of these people are just doing it because it's the "trendy" thing to do. I have family friends who are Catholic and I actually hear them mention every once in a while throughout the year about going to mass or serving and those kinds of things so I know they are legit. For all you other wankers out there suddenly claiming to be "Catholic" every time Lent rolls around, I'm pretty sure God knows what's up. And I'm pretty sure he's ashamed. And I'm pretty sure God doesn't even really like Catholics...

No comments: